Today children are digital naives. It becomes a challenge for parents to inculcate proper habits and values within their children due to the presence of digital media. Though the digital era has helped humans progress it does have certain negative effects and it gets worst when involved with children’s.
Parents play an important role in ensuring that their child inculcates a healthy approach towards media, technology and society. Here are few tips that will help you to become good digital parents to your children.
- Set a limit to the digital usage: We tend to see parents now days use poems and rhymes videos to feed their infants or get them to stop crying. Incorporating this habit from a very young age can be a problem later on. Instead parents must try alternative methods like lullaby or fairy tales to divert the attention of their kids.
- Encourage playtimes: You might have experienced a time when the child is so attentive towards the television that they don’t even listen to you. This is so common that at times parents don’t even notice this change. You must always encourage your kids to play outdoor games rather than just letting they put on their cartoon shows whole day. When children are encouraged to play outside, they will automatically try and interact with other children in the kids play area rather than wanting to stay home.
- Preschools are important: It has been found that children who attend preschools in their childhood tend to more active and extrovert when they grow up. When children’s attend preschools at a younger age the preschool activities and the preschool programs help them develop a positive attitude towards interacting with people rather than them just sitting in front of the screen.
- Know the value of face to face interaction: It is very important for every parent to interact with their kids form a very young age. Try and get to know about your child’s everyday actives and show them that you are excited to know about the new things they learn. Very young children learn best through two way interaction.
- Be a good role model: Because children are great mimics, limit your own media use. In fact, you’ll be more available for and be connected with your children if you are interacting, hugging and playing with them rather than just simply staring at the screen. Trying to teach the right values to your child can be tough but not impossible. When you become a good role model to your children they will always appreciate you.
Media and digital devices are an integral part of today’s world. If used properly and for the right purpose they can help you gain infinite knowledge. As children spend the most of their time with their families it is important for the parents to teach them these values and help them understand how to rightly use these mediums. This becomes beneficial for both, parents as well as the children’s.